Pages

Old School Poetry

posted by matt beres | | Posted On 3.08.2010 at 3:47 PM

This poem was tucked away in the pages of a modern book about the changing church. Seriously, right in between talking about the "Google" generation and the transitioning church was this awesome poem. I thought it was awesome. Awesome enough to share.



The world, I thought, belonged to me –

Goods, gold and, people, land and sea –

Where’er I walked beneath God’s sky.

In those old days, my word was “I.”

Years passed: there flashed my pathway near

The fragment of a vision dear;

My former word no more sufficed,

And what I said was – “I and Christ.”

But, O, the more I looked on Him

His glory grew, while mine grew dim;

I shrank so small, He towered so high,

All I dared say was – “Christ and I.”

Years more the vision held its place

And looked me steadily in the face;

I speak now in a humbler tone,

And what I say is – “Christ alone.”

Comments:

There are 0 comments for Old School Poetry